learning life

Lovin the life that brings me home.....

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Thankful Challenge.

I have been challenged by Renee Jonlick to speak what I am thankful for. Since I typed it all out, I thought I'd paste it to my blog. This is a five day, three a day challenge that I am going to just pound out here. Feel free to scroll past it. No particular order here: 1. I am thankful that even though this world is extremely broken and sick, there is still hope, joy, and peace. All said, I am thankful my Savior has allowed beauty to arise in the midst of some of the ugliest times. 2. Home schooling. Allowing us the flexibility to linger in subjects we appreciate, pound out the things we don’t want to make time for (like typing a list of things to be thankful for). It is a process for all of us and I am not ashamed that I am learning along with my 9, 7, 4, and 1 year old. I am so lucky to be paced by my children, not by the worlds standards. 3. My kids. Titus- whose name means “God protects”. It SHOULD mean comfort, joy, laughter. Always a joy to wake up to. The way he lets go of all muscle control in his cheeks when he runs, letting them jell-o about, putting all his energy into his squatty legs taking him where he needs to go. Claire- Who is hilariously and painfully gifted with emotions and hidden on/off ‘switches’. Smartest kid I’ve ever been around(which is sometimes to her demise), Beautiful. Lauren- Who is so much like me, it hurts. I can look at her and feel what she’s got going on inside cause I’ve been there. The best little mama around. Baby lover, hippie chic, dreamer, and innocent as all get out. She says “ I wish I was the sun…. so everyone could see me.” She has so much joy to share. Silas- Who thinks on the inside. The man of few spoken emotions, but large in character and conversation. Loves music, theatre, helpful and protective, very kind hearted. The perfect first born. 4. My husband who allows me to stay home with the kids who are my life. Though we’ve had much and had little, has remained solid on the notion of our kids needing their mother home. Hard working, and loves his family. 5. Brookings, The best place to be any time of the year. The natural recourses are topped by none other. My road literally dead ends at the breathtaking ocean. Tide pools, beach glass, and hiking. With cool CLEAN river destinations less than five miles from my house, who needs a swimming pool? Then there are the redwoods. A campers dream. 6. Community in a small town, Waving at someone I know almost everywhere I go. Waving at someone I DONT know almost everywhere I go. I LOVE when people honk a hello to me when I’m out running. So if you don’t already… DO IT! It encourages me to go those few more step! A massive community home school support, Dependable neighbors. 7. Family, Support from near and far. A father in law whose life belongs to my children, Grandma who send gifts, love, and phone time day or night. Who shop pays for almost ALL of the Peeps wardrobe. Grandpa who’s always good for a dollar store run and a donut. All of them loving each of us to pieces and cheering us on! 8. Siblings Chris, You are so incredibly musically talented, I can only hope to have one kid who takes that after you. Your aspirations are indeed overwhelming and inspiring. If you are ever more famous, maybe I’d try body surfing at one of your concerts again. Didn’t work out so well with CFI. Nick Nick Nick Nick Nick Nick Nick Nick…. Nickelodeon (thought you lived that one down?) I can’t wait till you find what you want and finally are able to do it! Your soft spoken, but protecting heart personality makes you a real catch! It was amazing to see how much you’ve grown and improved over the last three years! We really need to spend more time together! Drew, You are such a tender soul. Sorry if your cool buddies see this, but your best (in my opinion) and most obvious quality is your kind heart. It is unique and awesome to see the way fishing drives you crazy. Not many kids your age are character that way. Learn from your older sister and brothers mistakes and make your own- you Baker! Jaysta Boosta, You were always the cutest of all the brothers…The only brother I can REALLY remember as a little baby. So sweet. Last summer, watching you play uncle to my kids was so impressive. You really have grown and matured into kindness. The one who can always make me laugh, gets my inside jokes, and is good for talking cooking-Codes Kayla- Strong and protecting, yet gentle mixed in. very set in your convictions. Michael.. good to hang with. Light hearted. Becoming quite the ladies man. Lets see who he chooses. Yasab, such a tender sweet soul for Jesus. You can do great things. You are BEAUTIFUL! Don’t forget it! Someday, I’ll dress as cute as you do! Anna, Miriam, Messy, Tuabesh, You girls are such a joy to visit with. The way you help with the ‘littles’ is priceless and conditioning you to do your best as mothers. Even if you don’t choose that path, you will always have that in you. 9. The overall general health of myself that allows me to play with my children, and my children’s health that keeps them happy. The healing power of play. 10. Chicken strips and Coke. A meal of champions. 11. Hearing any of my kids’ belly laugh. The oxygen depriving laugh that sends them wildly flailing about. 12. Gardening- Harvesting, planting, chickens. Pretending a little bit country. 13. The moments when the reality of time hits me. When I remember to take a mental snapshot. All these precious times when it hits me, and I soak in the essence of what is really happening. Thinking about it being a part of the grand plan of life, and remembering how fleeing that second is, making me really absorb the wonder and awe of one single moment. 14. Wisdom. The kind that comes with age. Can’t be spoken into someone. Tears down pride and faith in self enough to realize the magnitude of how you perceived something for so long and realizing how things really are. The kind that allows for grace to finally step in where the arrogance and judgments once were. The kind of wisdom that renders c gratitude for a good decision-a good thought, Not creating pride in my own abilities. The patience and love I have received while aging and figuring this out. 15. Bed time. Checking on my kids sleeping and lingering a while. Kissing their sweet limp fuzzy cheeks. Knees in and bottoms in the air. Moving the sprinkler around the yard, locking up the chickens. Finally quiet enough to hear that ringing in my ears. I guess if I had a 16, I would thank Renee, our sweet Grandma for challenging me to write this all down. I wouldn’t otherwise do this. I will however NEVER accept the challenge to dump a bucket of ice water on my head

No comments:

Post a Comment